A Century of Progress: Thinking Historically Through the 1800s started in 2010 as part of the US Department of Education's Teaching American History program.
The goal of A Century of Progress is simple: encourage and support the appropriate teaching of 19th century American History. The project targets 40 middle school teachers from central Kansas and focuses on increasing teacher content knowledge, encouraging research-based instructional strategies and the appropriate use of technology.
- Raise student achievement by improving teachers’ knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of American history
- Improve teacher expertise of content-specific teaching strategies that increase student historical thinking and content knowledge
- Develop teachers’ ability to find and utilize historically significant primary sources
Need more information?
Who are the project partners?
- Educational Services and Staff Development Association of Central Kansas
- Washburn University
- Gilder Lehrman Institute
- Kansas Council for History Education
- National Archives of Kansas City
- Kansas State University
Other questions and comments?
1500 E. 11th
Hutchinson, Kansas 67501